Thursday, June 25, 2009

Like sheep to the slaughter.


The whole time I was throwing my USA Cycling hissy fit last week, there was one very important factor that went mostly unmentioned. As James eluded to in the comments, in the Root 66 series, I can race against the Pros as a Cat1 in the Pro/Open race without having a Pro license. Unfortunately, decent results from these races will get me no closer to an actual Pro license since they are not part of the National Calendar. Seriously, if for some reason Craig, Sauser, Schultz, Wells and/or any of the other fastest Pros in the nation showed up, and I somehow lapped them, I wouldn't be any closer to a Pro license than I am today.

Anyway, I was originally reluctant to race against the Pros for a few reasons...

1) Pain. At the end of a Cat1 race I am cooked. Completely wiped out. The thought of doing an extra lap is absolute nonsense. I can hardly turn over the pedals fast enough to stay upright on my way to the car. Turing in another lap in this condition would either land me in the hospital or turn me into the butt of every slow-lap-time joke for years to come. Hopefully some smart pacing will help me overcome this. I'm also going to have to figure out how to get my stomach to accept solid food during a race.

2) No glory. If I race the Cat1 race I have a pretty good shot at getting on the podium, adding to my trinket (medal) collection, and taking home some mersh of marginal utility. These are all OK reasons, but the biggest advantage of racing the Cat1 race is that I can build on my huge series lead. This is important because I plan my season around the overall series, not individual races. It is my goal, it is what motivates me. Winning a race usually means the course played to your strengths, winning a series means you are a excellent overall mountain biker. The sizable cash payout that comes with the overall title is nice too.

It not all bad news though, there are a few advantages...

1) Excellent training. If you want to run with the thoroughbreds, you can't train with the donkeys. If pain is a measure of training effectiveness, I'm in for some high quality training.

2) Sandbagging. When the two National Calendar events do come up, I can (read: have to) drop back down to Cat1, and hopefully by that point I will fast (read: sandbaggy) enough to earn some upgrade love. The problem is, I think half of the Pro/Open field is going to have to drop down as well, therefore absorbing any and all of the upgrade love that is available.

3) Cat1 race is more competitive. When the rest of the Cat1 30-39 field sees that I am lining up with the Pros, they will be relieved. I know this because last year when I saw Josh Wilcox line up with the Pros for the last few races, I was relieved. It always lifts your spirits a little when you don't have to race the guys you can never beat. (When I say this I am referring to ~85% of the Cat1 field, there are still a few of them I can't beat. To them I say "We will meet again.")

4) No, YOU shut up. Thom (a.k.a. the Directeur Sportif) sure as shit won't be calling me a sandbagger anymore.

Summary:

I will be trading cash, prizes, and fame for pain and anonymity. I do this because ... because, ... wait, why am I doing this? Well, I do it for you internet. Failure is entertaining, so sit back and enjoy my stupidity. Besides, my goal of not finishing DFL should be attainable since I'll be lining up next to Colin.

2 comments:

  1. Colin got owned. Pin-it at Putney, I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pshaw. I am not owned. I am.. about to be owned.

    ReplyDelete