Monday, April 5, 2010

Ketchup 2010 - Rosey's Rhonde

The 2010 race is just about upon us. I gotta bang out a bunch of posts so I have a clean slate when the season starts for real this coming weekend. First up: The best of the best, Rosey's Rhonde.

Sevens stacked on Sevens. (photo: chip/hup)


Why it ruined my 2010 season. You see that scene above? Well, I don't want to go on any rides that aren't a competition against other teams, I don't want to go to any races that don't start and end at the bar, and I don't want to go to any bars that don't have countless high end cross bikes spread out around the front door.

What it was: 65 mile on-road/off-road hammer fest. Course consisted of a single sheet of directions, which were lost almost immediately. Teams headed out one at a time, slowest first, as a way of handicapping the field. First one back to the bar wins.



that's us in the yellow, yes, we took a wrong turn at every possible opportunity.


Why it was awesome: The motivation of a race, the camaraderie of teammates, beautiful weather, and the relaxed vibe of an early spring training ride with your homies. Oh, and Dave's moustache was there. I also set a personal record for shammy time, 12.5 hours.

Who won? Every one sitting still at the bar at 8pm, with dead legs, and a belly full of cupcakes and free beer ...and Bikes Not Bombs.

In summary: It was around 8:30pm. After a delicious veggie burger, 65 miles, a pile of fries, 5 cupcakes, and about a dozen beers, I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. We decided to call it a day. We all shuffled outside, found our respective rides and said our goodbyes. I gave Rosey one last hand shake and thanked him for one of the best day's I've spent on a bike. I threw my leg over my custom Ridley, and watched as Rosey threw his leg over his ride, then headed off into the clouds.

Legendary.

2 comments:

  1. Where are Rosey's legs? That image is totally UNREALISTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thom, my unicorn is SPD compatible, right behind his wings. yours isn't?

    awesome recap kevin. i had a ton of fun putting the ride together. i'm already looking forward to next year's version.

    ReplyDelete